The Monchy Combined School was officially opened on Sunday 7th January 1951. It was the third of three primary schools that were built by the British Government in St. Lucia.
The Monchy Combined School was built at the same time as the CDC apartments were constructed in Castries after the 1948 Castries fire. The roof of the school was therefore made of asbestos like that of the CDC buildings and was only changed in the last few years. Two other schools were built under the same programme. They were the Vide Boutielle and Augier Primary Schools.
The School was built on lands donated by the Roman Catholic Church. The land had been purchased from a local family. It was agreed at the time that the church would be responsible for the management of the school.
The school’s first admission, visitors’ and logbooks still survive. A brief record of what took place on the day the school actually opened its doors to students is recorded in the log book as follows:
15th January 1951
Today marks the opening of the first school year of the Monchy R C Combined School.
The formal opening by His Honour the Administrator, G M Stow and the blessing of the school buildings by His Grace the Archbishop of Port-of-Spain, Dr. Fimbar Ryan took place on 7th January 1951.
The Members of Staff on the day of this maiden Voyage are the Head Teacher Mr. C. Huntley, Mrs. M. Huntley C A, Anthony Hyacinth PT1, Nesie Alexander 1, Nelsina Leonce 1, Lucille Regis 1, Sarah Rosenbert 1 and one monitor.
One hundred and seventy-five children were admitted, sixty-one of whom were transferred from the Gros-Islet and Babonneau R C Combined School. The Education Officer visited the school at eleven o’clock, and, before leaving, exhorted the children to come to school regularly and punctually and to be obedient to their teachers.
The School has survived its first fifty years and students are still being exhorted to work hard to achieve. Staff and students’ commitment is expressed in the school’s motto which states, “Hard Work Brings Success.”
The current principal is Mrs. Jane Jacob-Jean who succeeded Mr. Patrick Felix former Principal.
Since its opening in 1951, nine persons have served as the principal of the Monchy Primary School.